Humanianity and Christianity

Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Hindu, Wiccan, Unitarian-Universalist, Bright, Humanistic, Atheistic, etc. Contribute here how you see Humanianity emerging in your religious/philosophical tradition.
ArlissWhiteside

Humanianity and Christianity

Post by ArlissWhiteside »

The Humanianity movement is based on an “Ultimate Rational Ethical Principle,” which all ethical beliefs in its Belief Manual are written to be consistent with. This Ultimate Principle is stated in the Belief Manual as:

“We should do that which will promote not only the survival of our species but also as much joy, contentment, and appreciation as possible, and as little pain, suffering, disability, and early death as possible, for everyone, now and in the future.”

I think this Ultimate Rational Ethical Principle is fully consistent with the teachings of Jesus Christ, as recorded in the four Gospels of the Christian Bible. These teachings include: (from the Common English Bible)

Matthew 22:39 And the second is like it: You must love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Matthew 5:44 “But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who harass you

Mark 12:31 The second is this, You will love your neighbor as yourself. No other commandment is greater than these.”

Luke 10:27 He responded, “You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your being, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and love your neighbor as yourself.”

John 13:34-35 “I give you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, so you also must love each other. …

wvanfleet
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Humanianity and Christianity

Post by wvanfleet »

I see Jesus as very Humanian. I do not single him out as the only such person, but he has made the greatest impression on the world with regard to the ethics of human interaction. There are other ethical beliefs also, and more arise as we develop as a species. My religious tradition is Christian. I am non-theistic, and don't regard Jesus as being a supernatural being. I believe it is tragic what we did to him, and I hope we can make it up to him by becoming more Humanian and more concerned about each other.

wvanfleet
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Humanianity and Christianity

Post by wvanfleet »

Since my last reply, I have come to recognize that there are significant questions as to whether an actual Jesus existed or whether Jesus is a mythological person. Whichever is true, the important idea is that on this planet there has been the emergence of the idea that we could treat each other in ways that are not natural but are much more in accord with the HUEP. The stories about the (real or mythical) Jesus are about that emergence, even though those stories consist of somewhat contradictory pictures, including some of the natural, non-optimal (from a Humanian viewpoint) pictures. The emergence of Humanianity is taking place within what is still predominantly the naturally occurring ethics that we have as hominids.