Beliefs 147 and 148, Restrictions on Behaviors

Wendy R

Beliefs 147 and 148, Restrictions on Behaviors

Post by Wendy R »

I finally looked up the new #147/148, and put a shortcut to Belief Manual at bottom bar of my desktop.
"00147 Many of our cultures have tended to impose some restrictions on the behavior of individuals within that culture for reasons that are not justified on the basis of clear demonstration that the behavior causes PSDED, but instead on the basis of appeal to the presumed wishes of a deity, the existence and wishes of which have not been demonstrated convincingly."

Even as a theist, I guess I can accept 147, since I accept that we might not know or understand any deity's wishes sometimes regarding our rules. :) It speaks of presumed wishes.

Wendy R

Re: Beliefs 147 and 148, Restrictions on Behaviors

Post by Wendy R »

"00148 We should advocate for, and do that which will promote, increasing acceptance of the absence of restrictions on behaviors that do not predictably cause pain, suffering, disability, and/or early death (for any reasons other than the results of those restrictions being present in the culture)."

148 is rather complex to read though. I dont know if this is simplifiying it too much:
We should promote and advocate for acceptance of behaviors that do not predictably cause pain, suffering, disability, and/or early death (for any reasons other than the results of those restrictions being present in the culture).

Wendy R

Post by Wendy R »

It is the parenthetical part that is most unclear though. I might suggest something like: (other than negative treatment in reaction to such behaviors)

Wendy R

Post by Wendy R »

So a final suggestion for #148 is:
We should promote and advocate for acceptance of behaviors that do not predictably cause pain, suffering, disability, and/or early death, other than negative treatment in reaction to such behaviors.

wvanfleet
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wvanfleet »

Actually, I was trying to call attention to the phenomenon of cultural victimization, and increase the awareness that just because one's culture says that certain things are ok and others are not, such positions are not necessarily optimal. We should be able to demand of our cultures that they not add to our PSDED by punishing people for behaviors that are not harmful, even if atypical.