Belief 00125 needs wording improvement

ArlissWhiteside

Belief 00125 needs wording improvement

Post by ArlissWhiteside »

Belief 00125: When there is difference of opinion expressed regarding beliefs that make individuals feel good, it is not unusual to see that in addition to the verbal communication of ideas as to why the difference of opinion exists there is hostile behavior designed to cause the other person to agree as an act of submission, and this rarely leads to agreement.

I am not sure what this means. I suggest dividing it into 3 sentences.

wvanfleet
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Belief 00125 needs wording improvement

Post by wvanfleet »

To me it seems pretty clear. How would you improve it?

ArlissWhiteside

Post by ArlissWhiteside »

I suggest the wording:

When a difference of opinion is expressed regarding beliefs, hostile behavior is common, in addition to communication of ideas why the difference of opinion exists. (Such hostile behavior may be intended to cause the other person to agree as an act of submission.) Any hostile behavior when discussing beliefs reduces the likelihood of reaching agreement.

wvanfleet
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wvanfleet »

[I am not sure what this means. I suggest dividing it into 3 sentences.]

The effort was to be as clear and precise as possible, but maybe that didn't work. I am talking about the fact that difference of opinion causes people to get mad when they are invested emotionally in what they believe, or something like that.

But it still seems to me that the sentence is understandable, so I wonder what the three sentences would be that would say the same thing.

Another factor operating, however, is that I always try to enter the belief as one sentence. As soon as more than one sentence is posted, there can be confusion as people agree with one of the sentences but not another. I would rather post them as separate beliefs that can be assessed individually.

wvanfleet
Administrator
Administrator

Post by wvanfleet »

I didn't see your last response when I posted mine. Your suggestion is actually a different statement than mine. Again, I prefer for separate sentences to be posted as separate beliefs, so that they can be more specifically assessed (and voted on).