The Ultimate Rational Ethical Principle

ArlissWhiteside

The Ultimate Rational Ethical Principle

Post by ArlissWhiteside »

The Humanianity movement is based on an “Ultimate Rational Ethical Principle,” which all ethical beliefs in its Belief Manual are written to be consistent with. This Ultimate Principle is currently stated in the Belief Manual as:

“We should do that which will promote not only the survival of our species but also as much joy, contentment, and appreciation as possible, and as little pain, suffering, disability, and early death as possible, for everyone, now and in the future.”

Rational-Ethical Living and the Emergence of “Homo Rationalis” (book 1) provides another statement of this Ultimate Principle as:

“What should be done is that which will most likely promote the survival of and the good life for our species, that is, for everyone, now and in the future. The good life is the experiencing of as much joy, appreciation, and contentment as possible, and therefore as little pain, suffering, disability, and early death as possible.”

I suggest improving the statement of this Ultimate Principle as:

"We should act to promote the survival of our species and to maximize the quality of life experienced by everyone, now and future. High quality of life includes maximizing joy, contentment, and appreciation, plus minimizing pain, suffering, disability, and early death.”

Note: I use the word “includes” to indicate that high and low quality of life are not necessarily limited to the listed qualities of life.

wvanfleet
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Ultimate Rational Ethical Principle

Post by wvanfleet »

I encourage everyone to understand why the wording of the "Rational-Ethical Ultimate Ethical Principle" was chosen. The adjectival term "Rational-Ethical" is used to describe the emerging ultimate ethical principle, as contrasted to the "Authoritarian-Ethical" one, that comes naturally with our basic animal nature.

Ethical principle refers to a high level ethical belief (a general statement about what we should and should not do).

Ultimate ethical principle refers to the highest level ethical belief, with which all other ethical principles, rules of conduct, and specific ethical beliefs must be consistent in order to be considered legitimated.

The "Authoritarian-Ethical" one is that "We should do whatever X wants us to do, X being whoever or whatever is most powerful (parent, leader, group, culture, deity). It is in contrast to the "Rational-Ethical" one, the REUEP.

I recommend that we stick with the terminology that is used everywhere that Humanianity is described, so that there will be consistency of terminology and maximal mutual understanding. Changing the basic terminology will allow for much ambiguity in communication, with marked loss of ability to come to agreement simply because of failure in mutual understanding. I do understand that the phrase seems unwieldy and, on the surface, redundant, but with good clear understanding of what is meant, I believe that many will agree on that original terminology as being the best.